1756 West Carson Street
1889 was the year Henry Hunt arrived in America at the age of 18. He learned the art of stained glass from his father, George, in London, England apprenticing with Ward and Hughes the same firm where his father spent his career as a designer and glass painter.
In New York, Henry followed his craft with several studios including Colgates, Calvin & Wright, and Francis Lathrop until he landed in Pittsburgh in the fall of 1889 with Leake and Greene, decorators, as their stained glass man. Leake and Greene moved to Boston in 1891 and returned to Pittsburgh in 1893. Henry settled and made his life long residence in Pittsburgh opening his own firm in 1906 in the city’s West End neighborhood. During these early years, Henry became involved with the National Ornamental Glass Manufacturers Association and was elected President in 1917, 1918 and again in 1926. Henry is credited with designing the SGAA’s logo which is still in use today. In 1943, George, Henry’s oldest son, took over running the business along with his brother James. Numerous commissions and struggles through the Depression, 2 World Wars, the church building boom of the 1950’s and 60’s demonstrated the fortitude of these leaders of the organization. John Lally purchased the studios from George in 1966 until his passing in 1987. Nicholas Parrendo, who George Hunt hired in the summer of 1950, apprenticed and spent his entire career at Hunt’s as the creative artist, purchased the business in 1987. With his passing in 2016, his children continue the legacy of the firm.
The studio is one of the oldest, continuous stained glass firms in Pittsburgh to this day. Specializing in custom, one-of-a-kind designs, we create works in leaded, stained, sand blasted, beveled, laminated and dalle-de-verre as well as perform repair, restoration and provide protective covering of the art form, provide conditional reports and replacement valuation. More recently, we have been at the forefront of repurposing existing stained glass to new uses and locations.
Our firm entertains commissions throughout the country and has been said “will go wherever the work will take us.”